Areas of Expertise
Embedded systems programming, shipping products (7), manufacturing (24 builds), project management
Embedded Artistry LLC
Title: Embedded Systems Consultant
Timeframe: June 2016 - Present
- New platform/device bring-up, design review, part evaluation, prototyping, build automation
- Developing manufacturing test processes. Software/hardware FA & debugging
- Managing deliverables and timelines for external vendors and CM teams
Title: Senior Firmware Engineer
Timeframe: October 2014 – July 2016
- Employee #12, 2nd firmware hire, series A.
- Responsible for chip evaluation and RTOS selection (ThreadX)
- Bring-up of build tools, build system, SOC, and device drivers. Defined & supported manufacturing tests
- Responsible for camera driver, wrote EHCI (USB) host stack, optimized memory usage for perf improvements
- Gave lectures on system architecture and C++ techniques. Trained firmware interns
Title: Test Design Lead
Timeframe: March 2014 – October 2014
- Managed two NPI factory test and calibration lines from prototype development to mass production
- Reduced cycle time, retest rates, & factory escapes
- Briefed executives on program status and readiness for builds. Well-versed in crisis management
Title: Diagnostic Firmware Engineer
Timeframe: January 2013 – March 2014
- Rapid bring-up of software for multiple new products, components, and tests for use on the production line
- Trained and managed CM firmware teams to assist with development & debug efforts
- Worked with cross-functional teams to specify test coverage and perform FA on HW/SW issues
Georgia Tech Research Institute
Title: Embedded Developer
Timeframe: May 2009 – December 2012
- Lead developer on rapid-paced multi-system embedded project. Design to deployment in one year
- Awards for cross-functional coordination, exceeding customer expectations, distinguished performance
- Research, development, and testing of a platform-independent API for the U.S. Navy
- Developer for MIL-STD-1553 bus monitoring software on multiple EW/Avionics systems. Led formal testing
Skills & Keywords
C, C++, C++11, C++14, ARM assembly, MIPS assembly, lua, Python, Groovy, bash scripting. IDL languages: Apache Thrift, Google Protobufs, nanopb. API design.
Compilers & Build Systems
GNU Tools, Make, Makefiles, build systems & automation, Jenkins. clang, gcc. cross-compilation for ARM, PIC, AVR
git, Subversion, MKS, Perforce.
Debugging, gdb, lldb, JTAG, SWD, OpenOCD.
RTOS, ThreadX, FreeRTOS. Internet of Things (IoT), AWS IoT, Particle Cloud, REST APIs. Reviewing schematics. DFU. Sensors: IMU, pressure, temperature, Hall effect (HEFF, compass. One-wire, SPI, I2C, USB (EHCI), CANbus, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, RFID. Cameras, ISP. Custom interface design. Embedded Linux. VHDL, FPGAs. Board bring-up & functional verification. AES HW Encryption.
ARM, Atmel (SAMA5), Ambarella (H2), AVR, PIC (PIC18, PIC24), Nordic (nRF51, nRF52), GeoSemi, STMicro (STM32), EnergyMicro (EFM32), SiliconLabs (EFM32), TI (MSP430), Intel 8085, Nvidia Tegra (TX1/TX2)
NPI, SMT, FATP, testing, packout. China travel, CM management, Foxconn, Pegatron, GoerTek, Primax. Process controls, cheating prevention. Design of test, calibration, and rework processes. Failure analysis. Driving improvements to yield, reducing retest rates, optimizing cycle times.
Documenting everything. Presentations. Customer interactions. Executive briefings & summaries. Interface documents, test reports, recommendation reports, application notes. Project management, scheduling.
Learning, writing, crisis management, rock climbing, backpacking, cooking, guitar, gardening, Latin
GTRI Spot Award for Outstanding Employee Contributions
Highlighted contributions included:
- Initiative/"Can Do"
- Financial Perspective (Company Objective, Shareholder Value, Cost Savings)
- Customer Perspective (Customer Satisfaction)
Winner for GTRI's One GTRI Collaboration Award (I-BESS Project Team)
The I-BESS team was awarded for the outstanding team performance and inter-departmental coordination that we exhibited during the project.
Finalist for GTRI Outstanding Student Award (I-BESS Project)
Georgia Institute of Technology
Timeframe: August 2008 - December 2012
Degree: Computer Engineering, Bachelor of Science, Cooperative Plan with Honors
Focused on microelectronic circuits, low-level programming, and embedded systems.
Activities and Societies
- Association of Old Crows
- Students Organizing for Sustainability (SOS)
- Outdoor Recreation @ Georgia Tech (ORGT)